Sound Devices 688
- 12 Input 16 Track Production Mixer The 688 is a production sound engineer’s dream come true - a portable audio powerhouse that incorporates multi-channel mixer, auto-mixer, recorder plus optional SL-6 integrated powering and wireless system.
- By consolidating these functions, cabling requirements are significantly decreased, de-cluttering the sound mixer’s bag, increasing reliability and improving ease of use.
- The 688 takes the finest aspects of the acclaimed 633, 664, and 788T and creatively combines them with new technology into an unrivalled production audio tool.
Inputs and Outputs
- The 688 has six high-bandwidth Microhpone/line inputs on XLR connectors, each complete with phantom power, high-pass filter, analog input limiter and variable pan.
- Six additional line-level inputs on TA3 connectors offer flexibility for more complex productions.
- All inputs are assignable, pre- or post-fade to its eight output buses, left/right plus Aux 1-6.
- The 688 can send its main left/right mix to three cameras simultaneously via transformer-balanced XLR and Hirose outputs.
- The 688’s powerful digital processing engine delivers 12-channel auto-mixing capability using the most sophisticated algorithm on the market today.
- MixAssist automatically attenuates the level of inputs that are not active and helps maintain consistent background sound levels regardless of the number of open Microhponerophones.
- Comb filtering and phasing artifacts are also reduced when multiple Microhpones pick up the same sound source by inteligently attenuating redundant Microhpones.
- The 688 offers 16-track, polyphonic or monophonic broadcast WAV file recording to SD and CompactFlash cards.
- All common sampling rates are supported, including 192 kHz on up to six tracks.
- The memory cards can be set independently, recording either identical material for real-time backup, or combinations of WAV and MP3 files
- The 688 incorporates exclusive PowerSafe circuitry with smart sensing of available power sources.
- Front panel warning indication of power loss, and an integrated 10-second power reserve that will, in the event of an inadvertent power loss, allow the 688 to safely stop recording, properly end all file operations, and then automatically shut down.
Timecode and Metadata
- The 688 features a world renowned Ambient™ timecode generator and reader supporting all common rates and modes.
- A helpful time code compare utility shows the difference between internal and external timecode.
- The 688 also generates sound reports and supports extensive metadata, via the front panel or attached USB keyboard.
SL-6 Powering & Wireless System
- For a virtually cable free bag, attach this optional power distribution and six channel wireless system.
- Its three slots provide powering and audio interconnection between the 688 and slot-in receivers plus fully integrated control and monitoring of SuperSlot™ compatible receivers.
- With its built-in RF signal distribution, the SL-6 reduces the need for multiple antenna while its NP1 battery slot, USB charging port, two 12 V isolated outputs, and two non-isolated direct battery outputs provide powering for peripheral devices.
CL-6 Input Expander/Controller
- This optional input controller attaches to the bottom of the 688 and adds six full-sized tactile fader control of channels 7-12, sunlight-viewable LED metering and big, back-lit record and stop controls.
- When the CL-6 is attached to a 688, the 688’s mini-faders, originally assigned as faders for 7-12, switch to trim controls.
Click here to be taken to the CL-6 product page.
- 12 analog inputs: Six Microhpone/line preamps plus six line inputs all with front-panel faders & PFLs.
- 16-track recording to SD & CompactFlash cards; Timecode-stamped WAV & MP3 files MixAssist 12-input auto-mixer.
- Optional Accessories: SL-6 power distribution & 6-ch SuperSlot™ wireless receiver system; CL-6 input controller with LED metering & transport controls.
- Both SL-6 and CL-6 can be Conected to the 688 at the same time. SL-6 to top panel, CL-6 to bottom panel.
- Eight output buses: L/R mix plus Aux 1-6; transformer-balanced XLR & Hirose outs for freedom from ground loops Two AES42/AES3 inputs, eight AES3 outputs.
- Direct menu control of SuperSlot-compatible wireless (with SL-6).
- PowerSafe protects files from power loss.
- 2-second power on-to-recording.
- Flexible digital mixing and routing.
- Supports all sample rates up to 192kHz.
- Adjustable input & output delay.
- Three camera returns & dedicated COM return.
- Internal & external slate Microhpone inputs.
- Ambient TC generator and reader and internal TC backup battery.
- Easy to navigate interface, 1000-nit LCD visible in all light conditions, configurable metering.
- USB Keyboard for metadata entry.
- User-configurable headphone presets.
- Light-weight, durable carbon-fiber chassis.
- Powered by AA-battery (x5), external DC or NP1 via SL-6
- External: 10-18 V on locking 4-pin Hirose connector, pin-4 = (+), pin-1 = (-).
- Internal: accepts 5 AA-sized (LR6) batteries, nominal (NiMH rechargeable compatible)
- PowerSafe: 10 second power reserve
- Operating: -20°C to 60°C, 0 to 90% relative humidity (non-condensing)
- Storage: -40°C to 85°C
- 5.3 cm x 32 cm x 19.8 cm; (2.1 in. x 12.6 in. x 7.8 in)
- 4 lbs. 14 oz. (unpackaged, without batteries)
- 2.21 kg (unpackaged, without batteries)
Click here for more information on Specifications